Monday, November 19, 2007

Stupid Wine Blog Trick: Google Mapping Producers

As I stated in my post on wine shop websites, I find maps to be incredibly useful as they not only help me learn more about wine but also because they romanticize the experience of drinking a wine. Another thing I love is Google Earth. Although it may be creepy to some, I just cannot get enough of Googling locations all over the world, especially when I can zoom into the street view.

Combining my two loves, I have now incorporated Google Maps into my wine blog. For wines that I am able to find an address for the producer, I will include a link to Google Maps in the 'Region' section of my tasting notes that shows the producer's location. From these maps, you can zoom in or zoom out to see where the producer is in the region, where the region is in the country, or even what the region looks like by satellite. I have already added the Google Map link to my tasting notes for 2007 Jean Bererd et Fils Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau Domaine de la Madone Le Perréon and 2005 Weingut Johann Peter Reinert Kanzemer Sonnenberg Riesling Spätlese Feinherb.

So now, instead of looking up your house on Google Earth, you can look up wine producers-- who knows, you might actually learn something from Google Earth!

No comments: